For a lot of us it seems as though daily walks have become a newly-discovered essential part of our day. A moment of calm in the midst of all the madness that’s happening right now. And a moment when we get to head out and get some much needed fresh air. I know that for me, walking has become one of my favourite things to do at the moment. Which is mostly down to the fact that I can just switch off and listen to some good music while I do it.
But finding the perfect music to listen to on my walks took a little while. I spent a fair bit of time looking through Spotify for the perfect pre-made walking playlist but never really had much luck with it. It seemed to be a running theme that a walking playlist must automatically be super upbeat. Which, for those of you that love a good power walk is absolutely perfect. But what about those of us who prefer a chilled walk around our local area? Since I couldn’t find any ready-to-listen playlists I ended up making my own, and I thought it could be a nice idea to share it on here.
The 25 Songs You Need To Add To Your Walking Playlist
So, as I’ve mentioned, when it comes to heading out on my daily walk there’s a certain vibe that I like to go for with my music. And that’s what I’ve created with this playlist. It’s a mix of funky walking beats, some more relaxed tunes and a few tracks that I’m going to describe as “stompers”. Simply because I reckon you could have a really good stomp along the road to them. I’ve even organised them in an order that I think really flows so there’s no sudden transitions to distract you on your walk.
The 25 Songs You Need To Add To Your Walking Playlist: Track Listing
- Day Dreaming – Aretha Franklin
- Here, There And Everywhere – The Beatles
- Baltimore – Nina Simone
- Use Me – Bill Withers
- Cannock Chase – Labi Siffre
- august – Taylor Swift
- Everywhere – Fleetwood Mac
- I Feel the Earth Move – Carole King
- Spooky – Dusty Springfield
- Didn’t I – Darondo
- How Long Do I Have to Wait for You? – Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings
- Walking Away – Craig David
- Oxford Comma – Vampire Weekend
- Cornerstone – Arctic Monkeys
- I Can’t Go for That (No Can Do) – Daryl Hall & John Oates
- Brass in Pocket – Pretenders
- What a Fool Believes – The Doobie Brothers
- Mr. Big Stuff – Jean Knight
- Bad Bad News – Leon Bridges
- Young Americans – David Bowie
- Love Is A Losing Game – Amy Winehouse
- Holding On – Gregory Porter
- Walk on By – Dionne Warwick
- That’s the Way of the World – Earth, Wind & Fire
- Remember Where You Are – Jessie Ware
My Favourites On The List
If I had to choose a favourite song from this playlist it’d have to be track 1, Aretha Franklin’s Day Dreaming. What makes it such a favourite of mine to walk to is the fact that you can just slip off into a daydream when you’re listening (pretty apt considering the song’s title). It’s also one of those songs that just instantly calms you which, in my opinion, is exactly what you need when you’re having a stroll. Everywhere by Fleetwood Mac has got to be up there as a favourite as well. It’s the perfect tempo for a ‘walking with purpose’ walking speed (hopefully you get what I mean by that!). I also enjoyed getting to add a bit of old skool Craig David to this playlist. I just couldn’t make a walking playlist without putting Walking Away on it.
What songs are on your walking playlist? Do you like a fairly chilled playlist or are you all about the upbeat tunes? Let me know in the comments.
Read next: My Top 100 Most Listened To Songs of 2020