Testing CleanGin from The Clean Liquor Company

A few weeks back I attended The Clean Liquor Company’s event for their new product, CleanGin, at The Clubhouse in Liverpool One. [invited] At the event I had the chance to learn all about the new drink and take part in a cocktail masterclass too!

The Clean Liquor Company

The Clean Liquor Company is the low and no alcohol drinks company launched by TV personality and entrepreneur Spencer Matthews. Setting out with the goal to redefine the low and no alcohol drinks industry, Clean Liquor Co. have recently launched their new product, CleanGin.

CleanGin

CleanGin (ABV 1.2%) is an ultra-low alcohol alternative to gin. It includes botanicals such as juniper, orris root, cardamom, angelica root and more. With an ABV that’s 30 times less than a standard gin, CleanGin is a lighter alternative that you can drink all night long.

If you know you’re going out for a while and could end up drinking 5 or 6 gins then CleanGin is the perfect drink to mix in amongst your typical G&Ts. That way you can still feel like you’re drinking your regular drinks but with a fraction of the alcohol. (and the calories…a CleanGin and slimline tonic is only 5 calories!).

The Taste

When mixed with a classic tonic, CleanGin definitely has the same sort of flavour profile as a standard G&T. I’d probably describe it as a watered down gin. I was definitely sceptical about whether or not it would taste like gin. Usually I find that a lot of low-alcohol alternatives often taste a bit like juice (especially mocktails!). But I was surprised at how CleanGin had managed to get the same flavours as a usual gin in a much lighter version.

I also tried CleanGin without a tonic but I found that it actually tasted a lot stronger and also a lot more like a gin when it was with tonic! The tonic definitely brought out more of the botanicals so I’d recommend mixing it just as you would with a normal gin.

CleanGin Cocktail Masterclass

After learning all about CleanGin we headed down to the main bar area for a cocktail masterclass led by Spencer and one of The Clubhouse’s bar staff.

I ended up trying out the Clean Club Cocktail which combines CleanGin, lemon juice, honey syrup, orange blossom water and raspberries. But there’s a whole range of other CleanGin cocktails to try for yourself on their website. The Founder’s Favourite is definitely another one that’s caught my eye!

My Thoughts on CleanGin

What I loved about CleanGin was that when Spencer was talking about the drink, it never felt as though he was trying to offer CleanGin as a replacement to gin. Instead he described it as an alternative and something that could be integrated into your usual order at the bar.

Coat – & Other Stories (similar) | Jumper – & Other Stories | Jeans – ARKET | Boots – Office | Necklace – Nude Jewellery

I’m not going to be trading my favourite prosecco, wine and gin for a no/low alcohol replacement all the time. However, would I alternate between alcoholic and alcohol free versions? 100%. I can definitely see myself opting for the occasional CleanGin, in the same way that I will sometimes have a low alcohol prosecco or a mocktail. Sometimes you don’t want a strong drink and it’s great to see a new alternative on the market. Especially as the demand for no and low alcohol drinks is increasing!

What’re your thoughts on CleanGin? Is it something that you’d be interested in trying? Let me know!

Sign up to my newsletter for exclusive monthly content here

Read next: Making My Own Gin at The Liverpool Gin Distillery.

February 11, 2020

This sounds so interesting! I love that actually tastes like gin rather than watery. I’m not usually into lower alcohol drinks but I’d like to give this a try. The drink you made sounds delicious! x

February 19, 2020

I was definitely worried that it might just taste a bit like a flavoured water but the gin flavours came through for sure! x

February 11, 2020

Oooh this place is very attractive to me!! I don’t plan on drinking very much at all when I become legal, although I’d like to try things now and then, so I’d love to try CleanGin out & find an equivalent near me, here in California x

February 26, 2020

It has a similar flavour to gin but it’s much lighter in taste and in alcohol percentage so it could be fab for you when you’re legal! x

3. Natonya
    February 12, 2020

I’m by no means am a huge fan of strong alcoholic beverages so CleanGin sounds like a suitable alternative for me. When I go out with friends I want to drink socially yet responsibly and this sounds like a cool option.

Natonya | https://JustNatonya.wordpress.com

February 26, 2020

It sounds like it could be something that you’d really enjoy then! I think it’s great to have a drink that still has similar flavours to a standard gin but without the alcohol content 🙂 x

4. Chloe May Blog
    February 12, 2020

This looks like such a lovely event. I am yet to try this Gin but will keep an eye out for it x

February 12, 2020

It’s a great alternative to gin if you do ever want something light and low in alcohol! x

5. Lauren
    February 12, 2020

This looks like a great place! I haven’t heard of cleangin before! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. You have shared some great photos!

February 26, 2020

Thank you! It was a lovely event x

February 12, 2020

I wish they had a product/event like this in South Wales! If I make a spontaneous visit to the pub to meet family or friends, I always end up not having a drink as I have my car with me! This sounds like a great event Faye! x

February 16, 2020

It was a really interesting product to learn about! I’m currently taking driving lessons and I know that something like this would be great once I end up driving x

7. Sian ryan
    February 13, 2020

I have heard really great things about this Gin, and the event you attended looked lovely!! I think it is a great idea especially for people who want to enjoy a ‘gin’ without the high alcohol

February 19, 2020

It’s such a great alternative to your usual 40% abv gin. Definitely worth trying if you’re looking for a lighter drink x

8. Olivia
    February 16, 2020

Oh this is brilliant! I’m not able to drink alcohol much as I’m on a lot of medication but I do miss the taste of some drinks.
    Definitely intrigued by this new brand, definitely will check it out at the Clubhouse next time I’m in town for the day!

Olivia | http://www.heylittletulip.wordpress.com

February 19, 2020

It’s definitely worth giving a go if you’re looking for a low alcohol alternative to gin! x