November Neo-Soul: Music Monthly

I cannot believe we’re up to the penultimate playlist of my 2019 Music Monthly series already. If you’ve been following from the beginning then thank you for listening along each month! And if this is the first playlist you’ve come across in the series then you’ll want to head riiight back to here. (see you in 10 playlists time!).

For this playlist I’ve gone back to the good ole alliteration from earlier playlists (after straying back in June when I couldn’t find any other genres that started with J). Something that I really wanted to do with this series was to educate myself on different genres. As much as I love creating playlists on genres that I’m familiar with, my aim was always to branch out with what I was listening to. So I thought for this months playlist I’d try and create something that was more specific in its genre than say September’s Disco or January’s Jazz playlists. Which brings us to neo-soul.

What is Neo-Soul?

You’re probably asking yourself the question of what exactly is neo-soul right now. And I have to admit that when I came across the genre I needed to do the same. Which is what this series is all about! Like me you’ve probably gathered that it’s a branch that comes from soul music, which is true! But maybe aren’t sure on the specifics of it. Well, anyway, I had a little google because “kind-of like soul” just didn’t seem like a good enough definition for me. Here’s what I found out.

Neo-soul dates back to the mid-1990s and is a genre that would usually feature a lot of heartfelt love songs that focus on contemporary romance. In terms of tempo, neo-soul is more slow to mid-tempo in its style and its influence comes from jazz, funk, hip-hop and world music. It often contains spoken-word poetry or most restrained vocals than traditional soul with a narrower pitch range as well. And rather than the use of digital synthesizers, neo-soul opts for more traditional instruments like horns, drums and percussion, with the occasional subtle use of drum machines.

November Neo-Soul

My Favourites From The Playlist…

Mercury Prize nominated Little Simz track Selfish which features Cleo Sol is for sure a favourite on this playlist. This track just has a nice bit of a funk to it, even if it isn’t actually funk music. You’ll know from my previous playlists how much I love a good groove so I guess it isn’t a surprise that this is a favourite of mine from the playlist.

My next favourite has to be Un-Thinkable (I’m Ready) by Alicia Keys. Until I was searching for tracks for this playlist I’d completely forgotten about this track (which seems to be a theme throughout this entire year!). I used to be a huge fan of Alicia Keys when I was about 12, which happens to be when this track came out. The Element Of Freedom album is just a great album all-round. Definitely worth a listen if you haven’t before! To finish it’s got to be Corinne Bailey Rae’s Til It Happens To You. Both my mum and I loved her 2006 self-titled album. 13 years later and it’s still absolutely stunning.

There it is, the second-to-last playlist of the year. Let me know what you thought of this month’s playlist! Which tracks were your favourite? Is neo-soul a new genre to you? Not going to lie I have absolutely no idea what next month’s genre is going to be. I feel like the final playlist of the year has to be a good-un (pressure much?). So if you have any genres you want to end 2019 on then leave me a comment. Or, you can always drop me an email here.

*Photography by Wim van ‘t Einde via Unsplash.

Read next: October’s Folk & Country: Music Monthly.

1. Sarah
    November 10, 2019

This isn’t a genre I have ever dived into but will definitely be giving your playlist a listen!

November 11, 2019

It’s definitely a more specific genre compared to my other playlists. I hope you enjoy listening! x

November 10, 2019

These songs I have never heard of before, but I will definitely give them a listen as I’m always looking for new music to listen to! x

November 22, 2019

I hope you enjoy listening! ๐Ÿ™‚ x

November 10, 2019

This was such an interesting read! I hadn’t heard of this genre either and I’d have probably guessed something completely wrong based on the tracks in your playlist. I already like a fair few of the songs listed, I think I need to explore this genre more now x

November 22, 2019

Glad I could inspire you to give neo-soul a listen! I hope you enjoy exploring the genre ๐Ÿ™‚ x

4. Payton
    November 11, 2019

Ooh I really love Neo-Soul! This is probably one of my favorite playlists youโ€™ve done so far. (:
    And I saw โ€˜Another Lifetimeโ€™ by Nao on there and got so excited! Sheโ€™s so awesome!
    Great post!

November 22, 2019

Ahh I’m so glad you like it! It’s probably one of my favourites as well – I love Another Lifetime ๐Ÿ™‚ x

November 11, 2019

Although I’ve heard of neo-soul in passing before, I didn’t know the story behind it! I don’t listen to much 90s music, but this looks like an interesting ensemble. I’m excited to see what’s on next month’s playlist! Good luck figuring that out ๐Ÿ˜‰

November 22, 2019

I’m excited to see what’s on it too…lol. I better get cracking! I hope you enjoyed this one ๐Ÿ™‚ x

6. Chloe Atherton
    November 11, 2019

I must admit Iโ€™ve never heard of neo-soul but it sounds really interesting! Iโ€™ll definitely be listening to your playlist, I really need to expand the types of music I listen too! X

November 22, 2019

I hope you enjoy listening! It was such a fun playlist to put together x

November 11, 2019

I’ve never heard of this genre of music which is strange because I work in an events vebue haha, I’ll have to give this playlist a listen x

November 22, 2019

Haha, well now you have! I hope you like it ๐Ÿ™‚ x

8. Sophie Naylor
    November 11, 2019

I’ll definitely be giving your playlist a listen! It sounds great and I absolutely love being introduced to new music.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Soph – https://girlvsworldblog.com x

November 22, 2019

I hope you enjoy it! x

9. Lisa
    November 13, 2019

I’m slightly embarrassed to admit that with about five exceptions, I’ve never heard of any of these artists, neo-soul isn’t a genre I’m at all familiar with. I will have to give them a try because I do love jazz, especially with brass instruments ๐Ÿ™‚ Lisa x

November 22, 2019

A lot of them are new to me as well! That’s what I love about this series ๐Ÿ™‚ If you haven’t already, you might like the jazz playlist I shared at the beginning of this year! x

10. Ash
    November 13, 2019

I didn’t know neo-soul was a thing so thanks for teaching me something new today! It’s always good to explore new genres, so I’ll be giving this a listen!

Ash | https://thisdreamsalive.com

November 22, 2019

It’s great to see that you’ve discovered a new genre! I hope you like the playlist x

11. Sophie
    November 13, 2019

I can’t wait to check all these out, I’ve been in the mood for some new music for a while now

Sophie | Sophie’s Spot

November 22, 2019

I hope you enjoy the playlist! x