Cocktail Hour: St Germain Spritz

Picture this… it was back in August on my 22nd birthday. I was stuck in Manchester airport with a 4-hour delay on my flight to Jerez and had plenty of time to kill. So of course my solution to the delay was trying out a new spritz in the airport bar. It was my birthday after all! Flash forward two months and I’m finally getting around to sharing the cocktail recipe with you. I haven’t shared a cocktail recipe, or any recipe for that matter, in such a long time. But I thought I’d try something new-ish and bring drink recipes back into my blogging repertoire. Here’s my take on a St Germain Spritz.

Ingredients

Double shot gin (my go-to for cocktails is Bombay Sapphire)

Double shot prosecco

Single shot St Germain elderflower liqueur

150ml tonic (I use Fever Tree tonic)

Slice of lime, for the garnish

Ice

Method

Fill half of your glass with ice (I normally go for a balloon-style glass)

Add the gin, St Germain liqueur and prosecco into the glass

Top up with the tonic water

Lightly stir the spritz

Finish with a slice or two of lime (maybe a squeeze of lime juice as well!)

Looking at the ingredients list I have to admit it does seem like a pretty boozy cocktail! But, given that it’s topped with 150ml of tonic water and full of ice, it’s more of a long drink. I definitely see this as an alternative to an Aperol Spritz in the sense that it’s a light, afternoon drink that you’d sip on for a while. Plus, the fact that it’s got a lot in it means it’s a drink that would last you a lot longer than your usual glass of prosecco!

Have you tried a St Germain Spritz before? What are your thoughts on it as a cocktail? Leave a comment below. Is “Cocktail Hour” something that you’d be interested in reading as a future series? I’ve got plenty of great cocktails to share so let me know if it’s something you want to see more of going forward.

Read next: 1919 Cocktail.

October 23, 2019

I can honestly say that I’ve never drunk illegally, and as I’m still about a year out from being legal here in the States, I have a bit to go. Seeing recipes like these get me a bit excited haha! I do worry that I’m gonna be a lightweight, and in any case, I have no plans to drink irresponsibly at any time. Might have to refer to this in about a year’s time :’)

October 23, 2019

I’d definitely recommend a spritz when you’re old enough to drink in the US! You can sip on them for ages and they’re normally fairly light so could be a great starting drink x

2. Jenny
    October 23, 2019

It looks great!

October 28, 2019

Thank you! x

October 23, 2019

This sounds delicious! I don’t think I’ve ever had one before but this is definitely something I’d go for. I love elderflower, gin and prosecco in cocktails so I’m sure I’d love this x

October 28, 2019

Sounds like it’s perfect for you! It’s a great alternative to a classic G&T x

4. Anna Nicholson
    October 23, 2019

This sounds nice! It definitely has a bit alcohol in it, but like you said the tonic and ice balances it out! I’ve never tried St Germain elderflower liqueur, but I might have to try it somewhere and see what I think! Thanks for the recipe!

October 29, 2019

Exactly – it seems super boozy but it will last you a while! I hope you enjoy it if you do give it a try 🙂 x

5. Julie Buda
    October 23, 2019

Sounds very refreshing – I will add it to the list!

October 29, 2019

I hope you enjoy it! x

6. Jess
    October 24, 2019

The elderflower liquor sounds so good! I need to try some!

October 28, 2019

It’s absolutely gorgeous! Definitely worth a try next time you have a drink x

7. Ashleigh
    October 24, 2019

Sounds delightful!

October 28, 2019

Thank you! It’s really lovely x

October 27, 2019

You can’t beat a good cocktail Faye! My favourite cocktail is a ‘Woo Woo’ and always will be my go to drink on a night ‘out out’! x

October 28, 2019

Agreed Lucy! I don’t think I’ve had a Woo Woo before (I’m not a big Vodka drinker) but it sounds perfect for a night out x

9. Anda
    October 28, 2019

Never had a St. Germain Spritz. I’ll definitely try this one, it’s something between gin&tonic and Hugo and I love both of them. Looking forward for new cocktail ideas.

October 28, 2019

It’s such a lovely cocktail! Definitely one for a gin lover x

10. Lauren
    October 29, 2019

I like trying different cocktails! This sounds very interesting! Thank you for sharing xx

October 29, 2019

It’s a lovely alternative to a classic G&T if you’re looking for something new! x

11. Molly @ Transatlantic Notes
    October 30, 2019

Oh, yes this sounds refreshing!

November 2, 2019

It’s such a lovely drink! x