October’s Folk & Country: Music Monthly

When it comes to country music, I find that I often know or at least recognise quite a lot of songs but I never know who the artists are. Other than the likes of the icons of the genre of course. So when it came to putting together this months playlist I definitely discovered some new artists, and was reminded of some absolute classics.

October’s Folk & Country

My Favourites from the playlist…

I’ve got plenty of favourite tracks on this playlist, the first being Girl From The North Country by Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash. I remember first hearing this song on the soundtrack for Silver Linings Playbook back in 2012 and absolutely loving it. It wasn’t until I heard it again recently on the radio (I want to say BBC Radio 6?) that I remembered how great of a track it was. I mean Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash on a song together was always going to be amazing, wasn’t it?

My next favourite has to be Islands in the Stream. I think it’s mostly because whenever I listen to it I’m reminded of Nessa and Bryn singing it in Gavin and Stacey. Does anyone else think the same? My mind just automatically goes to the cast of the show line dancing and I can’t help but love it!

My final favourite is I Will Always Love You. I’m sure almost all of you will be familiar with Whitney Houston’s version of the track but you might not have known that it was actually Dolly Parton who wrote the iconic song. It was only right that I included the queen of country’s original version of the song within my playlist. If there’s one track on this playlist that you take the time to listen to, make it this one.

Have you listened to folk or country music before? What are some of your favourite songs? Make sure to let me know what you thought of the playlist and which songs you enjoyed the most.

Read next: Disco in September: Music Monthly

Photography by Markus Spiske via Unsplash.

1. gotmeghan
    October 9, 2019

I have never been a big fan of country music, but I like Carrie Underwood, Reba, Shania Twain, old school Taylor Swift, etc. I am quite picky when it comes to male artists though, but I really like the combination of country-rock together, so Brantley Gilbert is a favorite of mine. I also love Florida Georgia Line a lot too.

October 9, 2019

I used to love Taylor Swift back in Fearless days! Country-rock music is great as well 🙂 x

2. Miri
    October 9, 2019

Really like this playlist! Probably because I live about 20 minutes from Dolly’s hometown! Love her, Carrie and Johnny!

October 9, 2019

Oooh that’s so cool! I’m glad you enjoyed the playlist 🙂 x

3. Daisy
    October 9, 2019

You have got an amazing taste of music! I love country music as well such as Johnny Cash, Carrie Underwood and Lady Antebellum! My dad brought up listening to Johnny and I’ve been stuck with him since! I’ll have to listen to your list!

October 10, 2019

Ah thank you so much! I hope you enjoy listening to the playlist 🙂 x

October 9, 2019

I do like the odd bit of country music! These are such classic songs in your playlist! x

October 10, 2019

I feel like it’s a genre that a lot of people don’t necessarily listen to but love a few classics! Glad you like the playlist 🙂 x

October 9, 2019

I love this playlist. I actually really like country which still surprises me because it’s a million miles from the typial ‘me’ music. There are a few younger female artists coming up in country that I really like. And it makes a nice change from the typical stereotype of the genre too x

October 10, 2019

I’m loving the younger female country musicians who seem to popping up a lot lately! It’s great how varied the genre can be x

6. Berry's Poetry Book Reviews
    October 9, 2019

Aw, Gavin and Stacey! What a fun show. I have had an odd relationship with country – I only ever listened with one dear friend and it slowly oozed into my brain over time. Do you enjoy Kacey Musgraves? Biscuits is a really catchy song lol

October 10, 2019

I’ve recently gotten into Kacey Musgraves! Slow Burn is my favourite but the whole Golden Hour album is great 🙂 x

October 10, 2019

I’ve never really listened to any country music before! Its not necessarily my cup of tea. I will have to take a listen though x

Kayleigh Zara ❄️✨ http://www.kayleighzaraa.com

October 10, 2019

I don’t listen to a lot of it myself but I do love the genre! I’ve gone with a variety of different artists and styles so hopefully there will be something you like 🙂 x

October 10, 2019

I have finally started listening to modern country recently, as I’ve always preferred 90s and beyond, and I’m actually enjoying it more than I did when I first tried it out! I have yet to listen to Kacey Musgraves, but she does sound amazing so I need get on that xx

October 18, 2019

I love Kacey Musgraves Golden Hour album! Definitely worth giving it a listen when you can 🙂 x