August Ambience: Music Monthly

Out of all of my playlists this year, I feel as though this one could be the one to divide opinion most. Ambient music isn’t something that is for everyone but all I’m asking is that you give it a go. Maybe you’ll finish listening to the playlist with a newfound love for chilled music…maybe not. Since I’m using this playlist to introduce ambience into your music catalogue, I haven’t gone too deep into ambient music. I’d say I’ve opted for more of a chilled vibes playlist than full ambient music. I didn’t want to go too niche on you! Anyway let’s get to it.

What is Ambient Music?

When I think of ambient music I think of relaxed tracks that are perfect for any time of day. I’ll often listen to ambient music when I’m working on a blog post. In fact, as I’m writing this playlist I’m actually listening to it as well. Often ambient music is entirely instrumental with iconic ambient artists such as Aphex Twin being one of the most well-known within the genre. I’ve gone with a mix of classic instrumental tracks and more recent pieces with lyrics too. I thought it’d be a great way to show the variation of the genre.

August Ambience

My Favourite’s From The Playlist…

I have to admit that this playlist took a fair bit of research. Most of the tracks are actually completely new to me! Of course I have a few favourites; both new and old. My first favourite is Aphex Twin’s #3. I studied Aphex Twin throughout my degree and they ended up inspiring a lot of my artwork. My all-time favourite song of theirs is probably Avril 14th but for this playlist I’ve gone with #3.

My next favourite is Laura Misch’s Lagoon. If you’ve heard of Tom Misch before then you have probably guessed that Laura is his sister. Lagoon just has such a chilled vibe but bridges the gap between classic ambience and more current chilled vibes. For a full chilled vibe, though, I’d have to go for MALIA’S Simple Things. If there’s one song that you’re likely to love on this playlist it’s definitely Simple Things.

Have you listened to ambient music before? Let me know if you have any artist suggestions for me. I’d love to read your thoughts and get some feedback!

Read next: July’s Summer Vibe: Music Monthly.

*Photography by Seabass Creatives via Unsplash.

1. Becca
    August 17, 2019

I bet I have listened to ambient music and didn’t think much of it in terms of song titles and artists, but now I might! I like listening to music while I work but you know how upbeat songs with lyrics can be: distracting! I usually opt for classical if I want something in the background but even that can be too high-energy sometimes. Def gonna check this playlist out!

Also, I forgot to let you know that I tagged you in my mystery blogger post last week! Totally optional, but here’s the link: https://wordsandothermalarky.com/2019/08/09/mystery-blogger-award-tag/

August 21, 2019

I completely get you – lyrics are just too distracting when you’re trying to work! Aw thank you so much for the tag! I hope you enjoy the playlist x

August 18, 2019

Ambient music for me is the soundtracks to all the films I love. LOTR, The Hobbit, Romeo & Juliet (2013), Sense & Sensibility, and Pride & Prejudice are some of my top favs. I don’t care if it’s the Moria scene in The Fellowship of the Ring (super exciting and highlighting a very climactic part of the film) or if it’s the soft, twinkling, piano music of Romeo & Juliet’s first meeting, I adore these soundtracks, and they somehow all calm me down, get me to sleep, help me focus, and so much more. I should look into proper ambient music, and this is a great place to start <3

August 29, 2019

I love a great film soundtrack – it’s amazing how they can create a specific feeling or mood at each scene. I hope you enjoy learning a bit more about ambient music. If there are any tracks that you loved from the playlist make sure to let me know! πŸ™‚ x

3. Asher Downer
    August 18, 2019

I love your music posts! And im always looking for some new music

August 19, 2019

I’m so glad you like them because I love making them! Hopefully you’ll discover something new πŸ™‚ x

4. Geraldine
    August 18, 2019

I love music like this actually!!! I have different kinds of “chill” or music for ambience, there’s a Spotify playlist called chill jazz or something like that and even a coffee house station that’s fairly similar to this. I do like Lagoon, just listened to it! Thanks for sharing, Faye!

Geraldine | https://geraldinetalks.com

August 21, 2019

I listen to one called Jazz Vibes and another favourite is sweet soul Sunday – I’d definitely recommend them! Lagoon is just so chilled isn’t it. x

5. Amie Cadwallader
    August 18, 2019

Oooh I’ve added these to my playlist for my journey to work! Thank you!

Love, Amie ❀
    The Curvaceous Vegan

August 21, 2019

I hope you enjoy listening! Thanks for the lovely comment x

6. Fatimah
    August 18, 2019

Such a relaxing playlist, thanks for helping me wind down this Sunday evening after a busy week😊✨

FATIMAH β€’ ROSEYGOLDBOX

August 18, 2019

I’m glad you liked it! Hopefully you’re feeling a little bit more chilled now x

August 18, 2019

This is such a relaxing and chilled playlist! I love it, this would be good to listen to when you’re doing yoga or meditating! xx

August 21, 2019

I’m glad you enjoyed it! It’d be perfect for either – I’m loving listening to it while I’m blogging x

August 19, 2019

Ive been looking for some new playlists to follow and this seems right up my alley! Thanks for sharing x

Kayleigh Zara 🌿 http://www.kayleighzaraa.com

August 21, 2019

I hope you enjoy it! Let me know which tracks were your favourites/least favourites πŸ™‚ x

9. Sarah
    August 19, 2019

I actually haven’t heard of a single song on this playlist but definitely going to go and give it a listen. I have a feeling it will be a great backing track to reading!
    Sarah x

August 21, 2019

My aim with my monthly playlists is to get you to listen to some new music that you might not have thought of listening to before, so it’s great to see that you haven’t heard of any of the songs! There’s definitely a couple of tracks that would be perfect for listening to while reading πŸ™‚ x

August 20, 2019

I haven’t heard of any of these before! Looks like I have some listening to do! I’m always on the look out for different music to listen to!

August 21, 2019

Hopefully you’ll discover plenty of new tracks that you like then! I love discovering new music as well – it’s always fun to branch out in what you listen to x

11. jess
    August 21, 2019

I have simple things on my list as well! love your music taste and the post xx

Jerserry.com

August 21, 2019

Oh cool! It’s such a great song. Thank you! x

August 21, 2019

I love these posts, I wouldn’t say I’m a huge listener of ambient music but I’ll give your playlist a go. I have a mellow vibe playlist that I listen to in the background when I’m working sometimes but I throw a few more upbeat tracks in there to keep me perky πŸ˜‚ x

August 26, 2019

I’m so glad that you like them! I love making them so it’s lovely to see people enjoying them πŸ™‚ Haha I get you, a lot of ambient music can be a bit much – it’s great to throw in a few upbeat tracks x

13. katy gilroy
    August 21, 2019

some gorgeous tracks on there, can’t wait to listen! x

August 26, 2019

Thanks Katy! I hope you enjoy it x

14. Beatrice
    August 22, 2019

I love discovering new music. I am definitely gonna listen to each song. Thank you for the list.

August 29, 2019

I hope you enjoy it! It’s a great one for discovering new songs – most of them are fairly new to me πŸ™‚ x

15. Manon Keupink
    August 22, 2019

Can’t wait to check it out, I love discovering new music πŸ™‚

August 26, 2019

I hope you enjoy it! Let me know if there are any tracks that you liked πŸ™‚ x

16. Kerry
    August 22, 2019

Thanks for sharing! I’ve been discovering recently how nice it can be to fill the silence with music or have a certain playlist for particular tasks. It’s great! I had to subscribe to Spotify, I’ve been using it so much. I’ll check this out.

August 29, 2019

I hope you enjoy listening to the playlist! Let me know if there are any tracks that you loved x