3 Sustainable Brands You Should Know About

In the past few months sustainability has been somewhat of a trending topic when it comes to bloggers and influencers. More than just a popular topic to be writing about right now, sustainability is something that we need to all be looking into a bit more. With regards to the planet, sustainability is the quality of causing little or no damage to the environment and therefore able to continue for a long time.  It’s something that we should all be striving towards even if it’s making small changes to our lives to help towards it. With all the recent coverage in the media about our environment, sustainability is becoming something that we’re all a lot more aware of.

Every day we’re trying to do what we can to make a difference and help our planet for future generations. With this in mind I’ve put together a list of 3 sustainable brands that you should know about. This post contains affiliate links (read more about that here) and items that were kindly gifted to me by some wonderful brands. I will always indicate this with an asterisk next to the brands that I have worked with.

XO Balm*

The first sustainable brand that I wanted to share with you all is XO Balm. Made from 100% natural ingredients, XO Balm is a completely preservative and cruelty-free balm made from four minimal ingredients. These are coconut oil, beeswax, olive oil and chia seed oil. The idea of the balm is that it can be used for more than one purpose. Whether you’re looking for a hand salve, lip balm or moisturiser, XO Balm can be used and adapted for each purpose. Plus, a little bit of the product goes a long way.

The packaging for the balm is plastic free and incorporates a mirror in the lid of the tin. This means it’s perfect for travelling! It’s small, thin and well secured in its tin (loving my accidental rhyme there) so it’d travel well in any bags/suitcases. My favourite thing about XO Balm is the fact that it is multipurpose. So if, for example, you’re going on a weekend break or months of travelling and can’t bring a lot of products with you it’s ideal for cutting back on your travel beauty products. For me, XO Balm is perfect as an at-home lip balm. I’ve always been a sufferer of dry lips, especially in the Winter so I’ve gone through my fair share of lip balms. I like to have a thicker at-home lip balm for applying every evening and XO Balm is doing the job!

When you’re finally finished with the product (which will definitely take you a while!) the tin can be reused for storing small items. I’m thinking of maybe using it to store earrings in when I travel. If you’re looking to live a more minimal and sustainable lifestyle then head over and check out their site.

WUKA*

WUKA is a UK-based period underwear designed to replace tampons and sanitary pads. The underwear fits true to size and uses soft, stretchy material to allow for absolute comfort. For reference, I am a UK size 12 and found that the Medium and size 12 fit perfectly. Available in a variety of different designs, there is something to accommodate for everyone’s preference for underwear. Not only are they incredibly comfortable and practical but they also cut down on your waste as they can be washed and reused! Just rinse them after use and pop them in the wash and they’re ready to wear again.

Of course there are some cases in which period underwear might not be practical e.g. long journeys. But, as an alternative to the standard sanitary products they’re perfect. Sitting at around £70 for a pack of three or £25 per pair, they might seem like a slight investment. Although, when you think about how much one pack of sanitary pads are, you’d be saving money in the long run!

UpCircle*

My final brand is in the journey to sustainability is UpCircle. Founded in 2015 by brother and sister duo Will and Anna, UpCircle came about after a sudden realisation that they had about one of our favourite hot beverages…coffee. When you’re making your usual morning coffee you’re usually left with a cafetiére full of unused coffee grounds. But what UpCircle did was find a new use for these, would-be-thrown-away, coffee grounds. They took the grounds and reused them to great a range of skin care products (pretty cool right?). Consisting of scrubs, serums and soaps, UpCircle is a 100% natural beauty brand creating products for both face and body.

After browsing through their site to choose a product to try I ended up going for their Floral Blend Face Scrub. I’ve been after a new facial scrub for a little while as I’m currently trying to get a regime going when it comes to my skin (I’ve definitely been a bit lazy with this in the past). What I loved about the scrub was that it came in three different blends. Each of which was specific to a different skin type. As someone with sensitive skin, I opted for the floral blend. After just one use I could already feel the difference in my skin. Even just as you’re using it you can really feel it working into your skin. A concern of mine when trying out a new product is always my sensitive skin. However, with this scrub I didn’t have any sort of reaction after using it!

If, like me, you suffer with sensitivity then I would definitely recommend it. It’s not often that you can find a scrub that isn’t too harsh on your skin. The floral blend was the perfect balance of deep scrubbing without being harsh.

I’m so excited to share a discount code with you all for 10% off products over on the UpCircle website. To get 10% off just add femaleoriginal into the discount code section at the checkout. Alternatively you can click here and the code will automatically be added to you bag at the checkout.

Hopefully I’ve managed to inspire you to think a little bit more about sustainability with this post! Something as small as trying out a new product from a slightly more sustainable brand could make all the difference. If you decide to try one of the products I’ve mentioned then make sure to let me know with a comment. I’d love to find out what you try. Do you have some of your own favourite sustainable brands? Leave them below!

1. Chloe
    March 10, 2019

I really like your reviews of the products and brands, especially in terms of being sustainable. The lip balm and face scrub sounds perfect for me, like you I also have dry lips and my skin regime isn’t as good as it should be. Great post! X

March 10, 2019

Thanks for reading! These products are a great first step into developing a skin care routine x

2. Carly
    March 10, 2019

I have XO balm and I love it! It gets used for so many different things in our house. I like the sound of using a coffee scrub though, coffee is life ?

March 10, 2019

Ooh that’s so cool! Agreed haha, anything coffee flavoured has me sold x

3. Roger
    March 10, 2019

Great post! Very informative. I learned a great deal. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you! x

4. Via Singh
    March 10, 2019

It is so important to do our part for the environment. Thanks for introducing these new brands to me. The period underwear sounds interesting. 🙂

Via | http://glossnglitters.com

March 12, 2019

Definitely! I’m so glad I could help you discover some new brands x

5. Elayna
    March 10, 2019

Thanks so much for the reviews! I’m definitely going to look into XO balm, my lips are always so dry and it’s hard to find products that truly help!

March 10, 2019

Hopefully it’ll work for you. It’s so difficult to find a product that works isn’t it! x

6. Jacqie
    March 10, 2019

Love this post. I’ve been looking into products like the period underwear, and want to try out a few of these beauty products as well!

Cheers,
    Jacqie

March 10, 2019

It was completely new to me but it’s such a great alternative! If you do try any of them out make sure to let me know your thoughts 🙂 x

7. Gemma
    March 10, 2019

Thank-you for sharing these brands! They all sound great, I definitely love the sound of XO Balm. That one is great! I’m such a massive fan of lip balms, to have one to keep in line with being sustainable is great.

Gemma | https://anoceanglimmer.wordpress.com/

March 10, 2019

I’m so glad you enjoyed reading about these brands! If you decide to give any of them a try make sure to let me know x

8. Melanie
    March 10, 2019

I’m all for trying out new sustainable brands! Will have to give some of these a go x

Melanie || melaniewithanie

March 10, 2019

Glad I could give you some new sustainable brand inspo! Let me know your thoughts if you do decide to give them a go x

9. Laura
    March 11, 2019

Thanks for bringing these brands to my attention! Not only is it great they are sustainable, but I love their packaging as well! Definitely have to keep a look out in case they sell this stuff in Finland as well.

Xoxo,
    Laura || afinnontheloose.com

March 12, 2019

Their packaging is fab isn’t it! Thanks for reading, I’m glad I could help you discover some sustainable brands x

10. Barb
    March 11, 2019

Great information. I’ve been looking for some better products to use for my skincare as I found out what I previously was using isn’t actually cruelty free.

March 12, 2019

Glad I could help! x

11. Asher Downer
    March 13, 2019

using anything sustainable is definitely the way to go! Good post, Faye x

March 15, 2019

For sure! Thanks Asher x

March 14, 2019

That coffee scrub sounds so nice. I love coffee, but I am not allowed to drink it anymore. I tend to buy a lot of coffee ‘flavoured’ facial washes or scrubs now – so I can get my coffee fix via smell. 😀 Thanks for sharing these! I’m always on the look-out for sustainable brands to try!

March 15, 2019

Haha I feel you, I’m coffee obsessed! x

13. Anna
    March 16, 2019

Always on a look out for new sustainable brands with great products, thanks for sharing!

xx A. | mylondonandbeyond.wordpress.com

March 16, 2019

Glad I could help! x

14. Molly Catherine
    May 9, 2019

Loved this post and I love finding new sustainable brands! I’m currently in the process of writing up a post about using more sustainable products so it’s lovely to see other people posting content around the topic 🙂 Great job!

May 10, 2019

Thank you! I’m looking forward to reading your post – it’s always fun to discover new sustainable and ethical brands x

15. Lizzie Bee
    May 26, 2019

I’m so glad that there’s more awareness about sustainable brands – especially when it comes to sanitary products! I’m a bit skeptical about the period underwear… Especially because you’re wearing it for the whole day and I usually change towels at least twice a day. What do you do? Do you regularly change the underwear? 🙂

June 2, 2019

I was exactly the same when I first heard about them! The underwear is something that I personally use at home rather than when I’m out and about since I’m still fairly new to using them. I think after wearing them for longer I’ll feel totally comfortable wearing them out 🙂 x

16. Beka
    May 26, 2019

I keep hearing/thinking about the period underwear, but I always get a bit nervous about investing in them. Like you said, they’re a bit expensive in the short-haul, but also if they didn’t work it would be such a loss ? I’ve not seen any reviews about them, so I do get a bit skeptical! Although I’m always trying to find new ways to be more sustainable, so I might just have to bite the bullet! Great post ☺️

Beka | http://www.bekadaisies.com

May 26, 2019

They’re a great alternative! I’d say check out a few other blog posts about them and see what you think, I’ve seen a few other bloggers reviewing them so you might be able to find some more reviews 🙂 x

17. Nele
    May 26, 2019

I LOVE WUKA!!! They’re such an amazing brand and their products literally save me so much hassle and waste! Not heard of the other brands you’ve mentioned, but I’ll definitely check them out. Always good to find some more sustainable brands, thanks for sharing

May 26, 2019

They’re great aren’t they! Glad I could help you discover some new sustainable brands 🙂 x

18. Ellen
    May 26, 2019

This was such a good post! I’m trying to be more sustainable so I should look into some of this!

May 29, 2019

Thank you so much! x

19. Aaliyah
    May 26, 2019

All of these products and brands really sound amazing. It’s so true that we should all be working together to be more sustainable! I really like the idea of upcircle and their products really sound lovely! X

May 29, 2019

The coffee scrub is so lovely, especially if you’re a coffee lover like myself! It’s a great product for using once or twice a week x

20. Megan Harrison
    May 26, 2019

Love discovering more sustainable brands. Thank you for this post! I love products like the balm that can be used for different things. The Upcircle packaging is so pretty too! X

Megan | https://meganelizabethlifestyle.com/

June 2, 2019

I love the fact that there seems to be a lot more blog posts all about sustainable brands now! I’m exactly like you and love discovering new brands 🙂 x

21. melissa major
    May 26, 2019

These all sound like wonderful products, I have the xo balm and I just love it, will have to try the other brands for sure!

Mel ? | http://www.moonlightmel.co.uk

June 2, 2019

I love how versatile the XO Balm is! x

May 26, 2019

The xo balm sounds absolutely gorgeous, I might have to invest in some and I really love that it’s sustainable, with the rise in sustainability posts lately it’s really made me think about the products I’m using, so I might have to replace my regular stuff with this! Thanks for sharing

Kayleigh Zara ? http://www.kayleighzaraa.com

June 2, 2019

It’s great to see so many blog posts about sustainability! It definitely inspired me to learn more about how I could get involved in living a more conscious lifestyle – especially when it comes to fashion x