February Funk: Music Monthly

Let me just start by saying thank you for all the support on this series already! I was overjoyed to receive positive feedback on my Jazz January playlist from so many of you. It means so much that you’re listening to the playlist and enjoying discovering new music. I love the idea of us all learning more about different genres together this year.ย This month’s playlist was simultaneously easy and difficult to put together. Funk and soul is probably the genre of music that I actually listen to the most, especially when I’m walking to university. Because I listen to it so much, I could put together a playlist with so much ease. The issue, however, was that I had too many songs on the playlist. Let me tell you, cutting it down to a select 28 songs was so hard! But, I’ve finally managed to do it.

February Funk

My Favourites from the Playlist…

This is so difficult! One of my all time favourite songs is definitely Earth, Wind & Fire’s Let’s Groove which, if you haven’t listened to it before, should be the first one you give a listen! As it says in the title, this song just makes me want to get up and have a little dance. Pretty much Earth, Wind & Fire’s entire discography has this kind of effect. Another favourite is Tim Maia’s O Caminho Do Bem. This is one of my go-to tracks for walking to university to. It’s got the kind of beat that just makes you feel like an absolute boss when you listen to it. If I had to choose a final favourite it’d be Luther Vandross and his song Never Too Much. I’ve been a fan of this song for years and I’m sure it’ll be one that a lot of you will already know. Again it has that get-up-and-dance effect on me, as most funk songs do! Honestly I think I could go through every song on this playlist and describe how much I love it. But don’t worry, I’ll spare you the details!

What are your thoughts on funk music? Have you listened to much funk before? Let me know. If you have anymore suggestions of funk artists that I should give a listen to then drop them in the comments. I’m always looking for new artists to discover so send them my way! And if you haven’t checked out my Jazz January playlist then head over and give it a listen.

*Photography by Surya Urs via Unsplash

1. Macey
    February 7, 2019

I’ve no idea if Bees Gees can be considered funk in any way (I kinda feel like they definitely have some funky bops), so if they count, then I listen to funk alllll the time haha. I do love Earth, Wind, and Fire, and I need to definitely expand and listen to more music within this genre! xx

February 8, 2019

Agreed, I love the Bee Gees! I’m definitely planning to feature them later on in the year X

2. Laura
    February 9, 2019

I have never listened to Funk music before so your playlist gives me a place to start. My friend loves funk, blues and jazz, I think these are such classy genres! Quite surprised to be honest because most people these days listen to Pop Music, so seeing a blog post about a funk playlist is so fun!

Laura / https://www.laustworld.com/

February 10, 2019

Aw thank you so much! I’m hoping to learn more about music every month and get my readers involved in it too so it’s great to hear that you’re thinking of giving funk a listen ๐Ÿ™‚ x

3. Marie
    February 9, 2019

Thanks for sharing. A great way to find new music!
    Mx

Glad you enjoyed it! x

4. Payton
    February 9, 2019

I love this! I can’t wait to see next months genre. ๐Ÿ™‚

Aw thanks! I can’t wait to share it ๐Ÿ™‚ x

5. aisasami
    February 9, 2019

What an awesome playlist. I am not really familiar with funk music, maybe because I just listen to anything that is on my Spotify. I adding your playlist to my Spotify playlists!

February 10, 2019

Thank you so much! Hopefully it might help you discover a bit more about the genre ๐Ÿ™‚ x

6. ECBC Manchester
    February 9, 2019

What an excellent idea for a monthly post!! I love the idea of sharing music – especially as it’s often how I find out about new songs or suddenly remember an old favourite.
    Can’t wait for March! X

February 10, 2019

I’m so glad you enjoyed it! I’m having so much fun making the playlists so it’s lovely to hear that people are liking them ๐Ÿ™‚ x

7. Anaรฏs
    February 9, 2019

This is such a nice post and I actually don’t know a lot of the songs listed! I’ll definitely listen to them tonight so thanks for the music inspo xx

Anaรฏs | http://anais-n.com

Hopefully you’ll like some of the songs I’ve featured! Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ x

8. Alicja Walendziak
    February 9, 2019

First of all, love the idea for the series! I’ve not really ever listened to funk, apart from a bit of Daddy Cool now and then. I’m sure I’ll give this playlist a go and get back to you on how I found it. Thanks a lot for taking the time to make a playlist.
    populariswrong.co.uk

February 10, 2019

Daddy Cool is a classic haha. Definitely let me know what you thought of it if you do give it a listen! It’d be cool to see if funk could be a genre you enjoy ๐Ÿ™‚ x

9. Victoria Austin
    February 10, 2019

I donโ€™t think Funk is something I ever really listen to but I love finding new music to listen to so Iโ€™ll definitely check out your playlist.

February 10, 2019

Maybe you’ll be surprised and like the genre! Let me know your thoughts if you do give it a listen ๐Ÿ™‚ x

February 10, 2019

I love funk music. It’s so groovy ๐Ÿ˜€ The Isley Brothers is definitely one of my favourites. And James Brown. And Betty Davis! I can’t choose ๐Ÿ˜€

11. Asher Downer
    February 10, 2019

Love this post Faye! Can’t wait to read next months x

February 11, 2019

Thank you! I’m looking forward to sharing it ๐Ÿ™‚ x

February 10, 2019

I loved the January post in this series! I have to admit that funk isn’t something I know an awful lot about/ listen to a lot so I imagine most of this will be pretty new to me. Definitely going to give your playlist a listen at some point this week and try to educate myself a little x

February 11, 2019

Aw I’m so glad to hear that you’ve enjoyed the series so far! You never know, you might end up loving funk music by the end of the month x

13. Bill @ OthFit
    February 11, 2019

This is a fun blog series, I love hearing new music. Iโ€™m adding your playlist to Spotify, thanks!

February 11, 2019

Thank you! I hope you enjoy listening to it x

14. Cyn | cynspo
    February 15, 2019

Earth, Wind & Fire are my jam! This playlist is absolutely fabulous, youโ€™ve inspired me to look up some new music this month!

Cyn
    cynspo.com

February 19, 2019

They have so many great songs! Glad I could help you discover some new music ๐Ÿ™‚ x

15. Brittaney
    February 16, 2019

Loved this post! I don’t listen to much funk, but this playlist is such a good start! <3

xx, Brittaney | TheDecemberEdit.com

February 19, 2019

Thank you! Hopefully it’ll help you learn a bit more about funk music x

16. Nicole
    February 22, 2019

Ah, it would seem that we have very similar music tastes – I love Earth Wind Fire! Your blog is lovely. ๐Ÿ™‚

Nic