Jazz January: Music Monthly

Something that I wanted to do more of this year is sharing more music on my blog. At the beginning of the year I came up with an idea to feature more music on my blog and I’m so excited to get started on it now. What I wanted to do was to share a playlist every month that was focused on a specific genre of music or artist. The playlists will consist of a song for every day of the month and will hopefully not only challenge me to put together new playlists but also challenge you to listen to some different genres of music that you may never have done before. If you read my 5 Goals for The New Year post then you’ll know that something that I wanted to work on was my cultural knowledge. So, starting with music I’m cracking on with this goal.

Jazz January (…jazz-uary?)

This month’s playlist is all things jazz. I’ve always been a fan of jazz music but I’ll have to admit I’ve never really done any sort of in-depth exploration of the genre. I have my favourite tracks all combined into a playlist but I don’t often stray from my go-to tracks. For my jazz January playlist I’ve included a few of my all time favourite tracks as well as plenty of classics and a few newbies too. If you’re looking to learn a bit more about jazz then this playlist is definitely a good start (if I do say so myself…).

My Favourites from the Playlist…

Recently I’ve been listening to a lot of Leon Bridges (who I featured in a previous favourites post) so of course I had to include not one but two of his songs in this playlist. Bringing it back to “old skool” I went with Frank Sinatra’s Come Fly With Me. Every time I listen to it I’m reminded of Catch Me If You Can. There’s an iconic scene near the end that features this track. Have any of you ever seen it? If you haven’t then definitely give it a watch. A young Leonardo DiCaprio stars in it so if that doesn’t persuade you I don’t know what will. A final favourite of mine is Miles Davis’ Round Midnight. This is one that has featured on a number of my playlists in the past. It’s such a great late-night track when you’re just having a chill. But, it’s also perfect for early mornings too.

What are your thoughts on this new year-long series? Are you interested in learning more about different genres of music like me? Something that I would love feedback on is when you’d rather see these posts go up. Would you rather they go up at the beginning of the month so that you have all month to listen along or at the end as a round-up? Or should I keep them in the middle of the month? Let me know in the comments.

*Photography by Andrei Bocan via Unsplash

Read next: February Funk: Music Monthly.

1. Macey
    January 22, 2019

I loooove older music, everything from jazz to big band to the 60s-80s. Frank Sinatra is one of the best. Looking forward to this series on your blog!

January 22, 2019

Same here! Thank you – I’m looking forward to writing it x

2. Ashli
    January 22, 2019

Jazz!! I love me some good Jazz music! It is so fun, timeless and CLASSIC!!! Thanks for the playlist!!

January 22, 2019

Can’t beat a bit of jazz! Glad you enjoyed it x

3. Bexa
    January 22, 2019

This is such a cool idea for a series! I love discovering new music and hearing different songs. I haven’t listened to much jazz before but I just played a couple of songs on your playlist and I like the vibe. It’s a mix of upbeat, chilled and funky! Thanks for sharing, looking forward to see what other genres you feature <3 xx

Bexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

January 22, 2019

Aw I’m so glad you enjoyed some of the songs! I can’t wait to write the other posts this year 🙂 x

January 22, 2019

This is such an amazing idea for a series! I really like jazz but I have to admit that it’s not something that I listen to an awful lot. I can already see a few songs that I love in the playlist, definitely going to give this a listen later x

January 22, 2019

Thank you! That’s why I thought it’d be am interesting series – we could all learn something new. X

5. Marina W
    January 23, 2019

Great post, I haven’t heard of some of these songs, I’m so gonna check them out 🙂

– Marina W

January 23, 2019

Thank you! I hope you like them x

6. Natonya
    January 23, 2019

Hey Faye, you had some cool artists I’m familiar with on your list such as Leon Bridges (love him), Sam Cooke, Nora Jones, Raphael Saadiq and the legendary Amy Winehouse. What a creative way to learn more about you and discover new music, can’t wait to see how this series plays out?

January 23, 2019

I keep listening to Leon Bridges on repeat at the moment – love him! Glad you enjoyed it 🙂 x

7. RoseBonniee ~
    January 23, 2019

Very nice selection◝(ᵔᵕᵔ)◜

Blog de la Licorne

January 25, 2019

Thank you! x

8. Jasmin
    January 24, 2019

Ah, I love discovering some new music! Now I know what I’ll be listening to on my way to work tomorrow morning 🙂

✖ Jasmin
    // overdosedoncaffeine.com

January 25, 2019

Hopefully you enjoy it! Thank you x

9. Ellen
    January 27, 2019

This is such an awesome idea! I don’t listen to jazz music but I played ‘Misty’ for a music exam once. Hearing it was a huge throwback!

January 27, 2019

Aw thank you! It always reminds me of the film Silver Linings Playbook when I listen to it x

10. Kaye Chen
    February 7, 2019

Lovely blog! I love Jazz! I’ll definitely check your playlist out! When I was in high school, I played the flute in band, so I wasn’t able to participate in the jazz band. Although I couldn’t participate in it, I was fortunate enough to sit in the front rows to listen to them play in every performance!