Dealing with Deadlines

Over the last few weeks I've been completely tied down with university deadlines. With just under three weeks to go until my dissertation is due and an exhibition to prepare for, you could say I'm a little stressed out. I know that I'm definitely not alone in having to deal with deadlines at this time of year. Whether you're at school, college or university I'm sure there's some sort of deadline coming up before Christmas break. Since deadlines can cause a lot of stress for so many of us, I thought I'd write a post about how to deal with them.

Take Everything in Stages

Don't overwhelm yourself with all of the work you have to do. Take a step back, make a plan and work on your deadlines gradually. Something that works well for me is to work on a two different tasks in one day. I'll do an hour of work on one project e.g. dissertation, take a small break and then switch to studio work for an hour. I often find that when I work on a certain project for a whole day I get distracted and bored quickly. By switching between two different tasks you don't feel burnt out as quickly.

Writing at a desk with coffee.

Go Out and Enjoy Yourself

There's nothing worse than feeling as though all you ever do is stay in and work. Even when you have big deadlines coming up it's still important to enjoy yourself! For anyone who's now thinking "but I feel guilty about not doing work when I go out!",  the key is to make the most of the time away from working. Whether that be taking a few hours to see a friend or doing a bit of retail therapy, take a break when you need to. There's no need to feel guilty if you're finding a balance and doing something that you really enjoy.

Take Time to Pamper Yourself

This could be anything from cooking your favourite meal to having a good nights sleep. The last thing that you want to happen is to feel drained during deadline/exam season. Eating a home-cooked meal and getting at least 8 hours sleep can make all the difference to your productivity the next day. That doesn't sound too difficult to do, right?

Hopefully I've managed to put a few of you at ease during this tough time of year. Sometimes we just need a little reminder to give ourselves a break every now and then! What deadlines have you got coming up before the end of the year? Do you have any specific tips to help cope with deadline stress? Comment them below and share your tips, and good luck with your work!

*Photography by Johnson Wang and Green Chameleon via Unsplash

1. Asher Downer
    November 23, 2018

I am dealing with so many deadlines right now! Good post Faye x

November 23, 2018

Thank you Asher! Good luck with your deadlines 🙂 X

2. Alison
    November 23, 2018

I like the idea of alternating between two tasks, I’m going to try that one! Looking after yourself and taking time out is so important as well. Great post x

November 23, 2018

I promise you it works so well! Definitely. Thank you 🙂 x

3. Charlene McElhinney
    November 23, 2018

I needed this post so much today. I am currently swamped with deadlines at the moment in university and it’s so overwhelming. I haven’t went out and enjoyed myself for a long time. I seem to always be stressing, I really need to let my hair down, and take some time away and come back to it all. Great tips! Hope things calm down a bit for you soon <3

Charlene McElhinney

November 24, 2018

It’s such a stressful time for so many of us at the moment! Definitely try to take a bit of time to yourself and relax – even if it’s just for an hour or two. Good luck with your upcoming deadlines 🙂 X

4. kerry robinson
    November 23, 2018

Really good advice for students or people in jobs with deadlines.

November 24, 2018

Thank you! X

5. Everything Eden
    November 24, 2018

Great post, such great tips. Have a lovely evening xx

November 24, 2018

Thank you so much! X

6. Lavrax Rinc
    November 25, 2018

I feel like throughout university I handled my deadlines really well, I always did these things and I made sure to start assignments early enough! I definitely think this is good advice for those who are easily stressed by deadlines. I hope your dissertation goes well!x

November 26, 2018

Starting assignments early is so important! I get overwhelmed if I don’t do them in stages. Thank you! X

7. Via Singh
    November 25, 2018

This is such a nice post. I do take breaks and spend time with family and what I love and this energizes me to go ahead with all my work. 🙂

Via | http://glossnglitters.com

November 26, 2018

Thank you! Spending time with friends and family is such a great way to take a break from deadline stress 🙂 X

8. Geraldine
    November 25, 2018

That’s the hardest part with dealing with deadlines… Making sure I take a breakand pamper myself! I always end up thinking it’s a waste of time and I can be more productive if I kept going but that is so far from the truth! Thank you for sharing lovely xx

Geraldine | https://geraldinetalks.com

November 26, 2018

I used to be exactly the same when it came to having a pamper mid way through work but it’s so important! Thank you 🙂 x

9. Kristin Harris/Tales from Home
    November 25, 2018

These are some really great tips for dealing with deadlines, especially not overwhelming yourself and breaking it down into managable portions. Half the time thats my biggest pitfall when it comes to deadlines, if it’s a huge project I just get overwhelmed and stressed out. It’s much easier to manage once it’s broken down and I dont feel like I have to do the whole thing in one sitting!

November 26, 2018

Definitely! Thank you 🙂 X

10. Nancy
    November 25, 2018

Deadlines are great, aren’t they? Just kidding, they’re actually great if you have a plan to get things done on time and right! I totally agree with taking things in stages. It doesn’t seem as overwhelming. YESSS on pampering yourself!

Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

November 26, 2018

I love a good pamper and it’s so necessary to take time to relax during stressful deadlines! Haha, I can’t wait to have everything handed in so I can head home for Christmas 🙂 x

11. Great advice! Good luck as you tackle each one! I pinned to share your wisdom with others!

November 26, 2018

Aw thank you so much! x

12. Natonya
    November 26, 2018

Faye these are incredible tips I needed to hear because lately I’ve been overwhelming myself by trying to do too much. I like this idea of working on two tasks in one day because you’re right this keeps you from burning out and helps you to stay motivated ✌🏽 I want to publish three Christmas themed posts this December since I’m not doing blogmas.

Natonya | https://www.justnatonya.wordpress.com

November 26, 2018

Aw I’m so glad this post has helped you out a bit! Deadlines are the worst but hopefully we can get everything sorted without too much stress 🙂 Looking forward to checking them out x

13. Maria
    November 27, 2018

Yes, I totally find that working on two different things helps! I used to just focus all day n one project, but I feel so much less stressed when I mix the work up a bit.

November 27, 2018

That’s something that I discovered in the last few years or so but it really does work! Thank you 🙂 x