Beetroot and Feta Tart

I’ve been meaning to share this recipe on my blog for a few weeks now after posting it on Instagram. This is one of my favourite recipes for the summer time and one that’s great for both lunch or dinner. Imagine yourself sitting outside and enjoying the sun with a glass of prosecco in hand and a slice of this amazing tart on your plate. For this recipe, I took inspiration from Delicious Magazine’s Beetroot and Goat’s Cheese Tart. However instead of the goat’s cheese I’ve opted for a Beetroot and Feta Tart.

Ingredients

500g bunch raw beetroot (don’t use jarred or any that has been soaked in vinegar)

320g puff pastry sheet

100g feta cheese

100g mascarpone cheese

Handful walnuts

100ml clear honey

2 tsp olive oil

Method

FOR THE BEETROOT: Before you get to the actual cooking of the tart, you need to first cook the beetroot.

Wash and trim the beetroot, but do not peel it. Place the beetroot in a large saucepan and cover with water.

Bring to the boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low.

Cover and simmer for about 20-30 minutes, or until just tender. (this will depend on the size of the beetroot).

Remove from the water, then peel and finely slice it.

FOR THE TART: Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C.

Put the pastry onto a baking sheet.

About 2cm into the pastry, slice around the shape of the sheet. Don’t cut all the way through it, just about halfway through. (this will allow the pastry to form a crust when it is cooking)

Put the pastry into the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes.

While the pastry is cooking, mix together the mascarpone and feta cheese so that they are folded in together.

Take the walnuts and crush them ready for adding to the tart later. (I usually add the nuts into a plastic sandwich bag and use a rolling pin to crush them)

When the pastry has risen, remove it from the oven and smooth the cheese mixture onto it.

Layer on the beetroot slices and crushed walnuts.

Drizzle with honey and olive oil. Return it back into the oven for 5-10 minutes to warm the cheese.

Remove from the oven, slice and serve.

Thank you for reading! Let me know your thoughts on the tart and what some of your favourite summer recipes are. I’d love to find some more inspiration for summer cooking.

1. melissa major
    July 15, 2018

oh wow, this looks so delicious! I have never tried beetroot on a tart before but I will have to make this recipe soon as it looks perfect for summer 😀

Melissa 🌙🔮 | Moonlight Mel

July 15, 2018

It’s honestly sooo good! If you do try it out let me know what you think of it 🙂 xx

2. Ellie
    July 15, 2018

Sounds like an interesting choice of ingredients but looks so nice!

Ellie // http://www.thediaryofellie.com

July 15, 2018

Haha it does sound a bit weird but I promise it’s amazing! xx

3. Jas
    July 15, 2018

I am a big fan of summer tarts, my favourite at the moment is a goats cheese, red onion and pesto one. I’ve never been a big beetroot fan, but I like the idea of incoporating honey for a solid sweet and savoury mix!

July 16, 2018

The honey is so lovely against the savoury flavour! I’m obsessed with goats cheese and it sounds amazing with red onion and pesto xx

4. Katy
    July 15, 2018

I always pair beetroot with goat cheese. Feta would make a nice change! Thanks for the recipe!

July 16, 2018

Goats cheese and beetroot is a classic! Definitely give it a go with feta though, I promise it’s amazing 🙂 xx

5. Derbyshireduckie
    July 15, 2018

Beetroot is my favourite thing! I make my own beetroot & tomato sauce and beetroot and chilli risotto is soooo yummy! I’ll have to give this one a go too now! DerbyshireDuckie.com

July 16, 2018

Oh wow they both sound amazing! I never really cook with beetroot that much but i’d love to try some more recipes using it soon 🙂 xx

6. Katie
    July 15, 2018

Oooh that looks so good! Definitely is tough trying to pick things to eat in the summer because I never want to eat anything too filling when it’s warm, but this looks delicious!

July 16, 2018

I’m the same – light but delicious foods are the best in the warm weather 🙂 xx

7. Greatness Reinvented
    July 15, 2018

Looks yummy going to have to give this a go. i don’t do much with beetroot apart from juice it with lime and ginger.

GR | https://www.thegreat.uk

July 16, 2018

Definitely give it a go! And let me know what you thought of it if you do try it out 🙂 xx

8. Rita
    July 15, 2018

It looks easy and delicious! I love beetroot and will definitely try this recipe. Thanks for posting!

July 16, 2018

It’s super simple and definitely worth trying out! 🙂 xx

9. Louise
    July 15, 2018

Woww that looks amazing, seems quite easy to make! X

July 16, 2018

It really isn’t difficult at all to make! Thank you 🙂 xx