A Foodie’s Guide to… Liverpool

Happy Wednesday everyone, you’re halfway to the weekend! Can we just start by talking about how ridiculously cold it is?! It’s March tomorrow and I feel like the Winter weather is at it’s absolute worst right now! I thought I’d finally get around to actually starting a series that I’ve been wanting to write for a few months now which is a ‘guide to…’ blog series. I’m planning on writing a variety of different guides for a few of my favourite places to visit which will include anything from food to fashion. As you can probably tell already, by the amount of recipes and snack related posts I have on my blog, I’m a huge foodie. Up until this point however, I haven’t really shared any posts about great places to visit if you’re looking for somewhere for food and drinks – I normally just write about my own recipes! So with this in mind I thought I’d start my guide to series with a post for all my fellow foodies out there and what better place to begin the guide with than my lovely home city of Liverpool!

Filter & Fox

It’d only be right to start off my food journey of Liverpool with a bit of coffee and cake; what better way is there to start your day? My ultimate coffee shop destination would have to be the fabulous Filter & Fox. Not only do they serve a great cup of coffee but into the evening you can head over for a cocktail…or five. Whenever I’m home from university I always find myself here whether it be for a catch up with old friends or drinks with the family –  an absolute must visit for any coffee lovers!

IMG_2482.JPG

Salt House Bacaro

Something that we go absolutely crazy for in Liverpool is tapas. Whether that be authentic style Spanish tapas or Italian influenced small plates – you’ll be able to find the perfect light bite anywhere. Having been a favourite of mine for a few years now I just had to mention Salt House Bacaro. Not only is its food unbelievable but the lunchtime deal that they offer is such amazing value for money; especially considering how generous the portions are for small plates!

Neon Jamón

Another variation on the ‘small plate’ is possibly my favourite restaurant in the whole of Liverpool: Neon Jamón. I’m a huge lover of Spanish culture; particularly their food and Neon Jamón offers the closest thing I’ve managed to find out side of Spain to authentic Spanish tapas. Whether you opt for the classics: croquettas, calamares, patatas bravas or branch out for something new you’re bound to find something that you’ll love here. My ultimate tip would have to be to try the ribs! I know what you’re thinking RIBS?! how are they Spanish at all?? I thought the same when I first saw them on the menu but they aren’t anything like your standard American-style rack of ribs (as I’m sure you can tell in the image!).

IMG_3327.JPG

The Vincent Cafe & Cocktail Bar

To finish off my little guide I obviously had to include a cocktail bar! The Vincent Cafe & Cocktail Bar is definitely more upmarket than the restaurants I’ve mentioned so far but not ridiculously so! My trips to the Vincent have actually often been during the afternoon/early evening rather than later on at night simply because for me it seems like such a lovely place to visit slightly earlier on in the evening. I’m someone who likes to order a simple drink (an old-fashioned in this case) and just sit at the bar and people watch – and for me the Vincent is perfect for this.

IMG_3131.JPG

Hopefully you enjoyed reading this post! Let me know your thoughts on the series so far – I’d love to hear your opinions! Have any of you visited Liverpool before or are maybe even from there yourself? Leave me a little comment. As always thank you so much for reading, I really appreciate the amazing support!

1. Angela
    February 28, 2018

I love the fact that you threw in some music in there. It really adds to what you wrote! A little tip: Try to have the pictures we as wide as your text. It’ll make the article seem like a whole and more pleasing to the eye. I love your writing style, by the way! I’m planning to visit liverpool within a year from now and certainly will try these places out!

February 28, 2018

Aw thank you so much! I was hoping people would like the music alongside the writing so I’m glad you enjoyed it 🙂 Thanks for the tip – I think I’ll edit that now haha xx

2. Kim
    February 28, 2018

My uncle moved to Liverpool a couple years ago and I’ve not visited but that post makes me consider it! I’m a serious foodie too 😂 X x

February 28, 2018

You should definitely take a little trip there! You’ll be in foodie heaven haha xx

3. Ross O'Sullivan
    February 28, 2018

I’ve not been to Liverpool in years and this makes me want to go and experience these things.
    Especially the Vincent, that sounds awesome!

February 28, 2018

You should definitely take a trip back there! There are always new places popping up around town – even when I’m only away for a few months at university I come back and so much has changed haha! xx

4. Natalie
    February 28, 2018

Not only did your post leave me very hungry… it made me look forward to the eateries in your neck of the woods which is definitely on my bucket list…. I think your series will be great and I look forward to more hunger moments 😋

February 28, 2018

Hahaha that’s the thing with food blog posts – always make me so hungry as well haha! Thanks for the lovely comment! xx

5. CherishingFlo
    February 28, 2018

I’m extremely hungry looking at all this. I’ve never been to Liverpool! I’m honestly not sure I remember where it is, but I’m now very tempted to go! It’s actually finally starting to be less cold where I am.

February 28, 2018

Hahaha I’m the same whenever I read a food post! It’s gotten so cold where I am over the last few days! xx

6. kelsey
    March 1, 2018

I’ve never been to Liverpool, this will be the reason I go though! the coffee and cake look amazing!!!!

March 1, 2018

Haha, can confirm it tastes as amazing at it looks! Xx

7. Jess
    March 1, 2018

That Italian Tapas looks absolutely gorgeous!! Also love how you’ve got The Wombats as one of your music picks, that album is so goood!

Jess xx
    foundationsandfairytales.wordpress.com

March 1, 2018

So glad you liked the music! I was trying something new by putting a bit of music into my posts 🙂 xx

8. Ellyn Rebecca
    March 1, 2018

All that food looks incredible!! We used to have family friends up in Liverpool but they moved to New Zealand and I’ve never been back since! I would love to though and if I do, I will definitely consider looking into these restaurants!

Ellyn x | Life Of A Beauty Nerd

March 1, 2018

It really is! Thank you for the comment lovely! Xx

9. becbeccabeck
    March 4, 2018

all that food looks mouthwateringly good!

I have friends in liverpool, next time I go to visit, I’ll have to seek out these food places

March 4, 2018

Definitely do it! Thank you 🙂 xx

10. Fifi
    April 15, 2018

Those lattes look amazing! I’ve always wanted to try those artistic lattes, I go to Starbucks too much haha. And I’ve actually never tried tapas before, but I’ve always wanted to! England has so many cute, quaint places, I wish I could move to England instead of living in the states haha.

Afairytaledream.com

April 15, 2018

You definitely need to try tapas! Thanks for the comment 🙂 xx

11. Jessica
    April 16, 2018

I’ll definitely have to try these out? Lived in Liverpool for 3 years and not heard of them before haha!! I’ve heard leaf in Bold St. is great for brunch, I’ve never eaten there but their hot chocs are fab!! X

Jessica Pardoe | http://www.thoughtsofjessica.com

April 16, 2018

Leaf is so lovely! I’ve had their lunch once before and a few iced coffees. Thanks for the comment! Xx